Tuesday, 21 March 2017

STEPMOTHER / STEPFATHER - ARTHUR PITA


Lately I have been feeling that I am lacking in gallery visits, as I haven't really been to any exhibitions recently - however I realise that the performances I have been to are significantly influential, not only to this project but to me as an artist too.

Arthur Pita's StepMother / StepFather was a performance that, again, I just happened to come across as my friend dances in it and posted about it on Facebook.





Whilst the first act focuses on twisting classical fairytales back into their original, disturbing form of violent cautionary stories; the second act plays more with contemporary references, as the narrative is built around and set to the song 'Country Death Song' by Violent Femmes. The shifts between classic and contemporary, sweet and repulsive, beautiful and alarming are seamlessly pulled off, resulting in a distressingly captivating display of dance theatre. 
I am constantly aiming to achieve this atmosphere within my own work, by creating conflicting emotions within the viewer and stretching out genres to make new ones. 


No comments:

Post a Comment